Australian Manuka honey, a name so familiar to Australians, is known worldwide for its wide range of uses. It is the honey produced in Australia by bees that pollinate the tea tree.
.While honey was still a widely accepted medicine, the power of Manuka honey to combat bacterial infections was not known. In the late 19th century, scientists became informed of its antibacterial properties. From then on, the Manuka honey became a chief ingredient in many medicines and cosmetics.
The Manuka honey is said to heal the skin subjected to bacterial infection by enhancing the production of specific repair cells. This article enlightens you about the benefits and uses
Why is it antibacterial?
All types of honey are famous for their antibiotic property due to the hydrogen peroxide in it. The antibacterial property of Manuka honey is due to the compound methylglyoxal or MGO. MGO is made from another compound, dihydroxyacetone, found in the nectar of Manuka flowers. The antibacterial power is directly proportional to the concentration of MGO in the honey.
What are the uses of Australian Manuka Honey?
A few of the common uses are as follows:
- Treats skin problems– It is known to cure various skin problems like acne and dermatitis. Manuka honey can effectively treat acne caused by bacterial growth in pores. The honey, when mixed with a low pH product, treats acne effectively.
- Treats oral problems– Australian Manuka honey effectively fights oral issues like gingivitis and improves overall oral health. The Manuka honey specifically inhibits the growth of harmful bacteria like P.Gingivalis in the mouth. Studies also showed how its usage helped reduce the acquisition of plaque on teeth.
- Eases a sore throat– The Manuka honey directly attacks the bacteria, causing pain and inflammation of the throat, thus providing relief from sore throats. It forms a temporary lining inside the throat, thus protecting it from further bacterial attacks.
- Treats Gastric Ulcer– H Pylori is the bacteria responsible for gastric ulcers. Researches show that the Manuka honey is effective for treating ulcers as it attacks the bacteria responsible.
- Improves Digestive Health– For people facing chronic digestive issues like diarrhea, constipation, or IBS, the Manuka honey is a reliable and effective remedy. It is said to improve overall digestive health.
- Heal bruises and wounds– Being a medicinal product with antibacterial and nti-inflammatory properties, healing wounds and bruises is the most basic function of Manuka honey.
What are the points to be noted while purchasing?
- Check the UMF rating- The Unique Manuka Factor or UMF is the quality mark in Manuka honey. The UMF rating is based on the concentration of components, MGO, DHA and, Leptosperin in the Manuka honey. Higher the UMF rating, the higher the benefits. To be used for medicinal purposes, the UMF rating should be higher than 10. Manuka Honey with a UMF of less than five is considered ineffective for medical purposes.
- Special Honey for Wound Care- If the Manuka honey needs to be purchased for wound care, select only medical-grade Manuka honey. Also, the medicinal Manuka honey is not ideal for consumption.
It is not safe to consume Manuka honey when under chemotherapy as it may interact with the chemotherapy drugs and create adverse effects.