A chronograph watch is any watch that has a timekeeping display combined with a stopwatch that uses an independent sweep hand, which can be controlled with one or more buttons. It is not only famous for its various features but also because it’s a fashion accessory. It’s sleek, elegant and gives the one wearing a professional yet rugged look.
Even though digital watches have been in the market for almost half a century, the 200-year-old men’s chronograph watches are still trendier and more sought after. We wear them daily without even realizing it’s a chronograph watch. They’ve played a vital role in the past as well. A significant one being the Apollo-13 mission, where a chronograph watch helped the team land safely back on Earth after an unfortunate explosion.
Why go for a chronograph watch?
Apart from the fact that they’re a fashion statement, they’re also helpful. On the face of it, chronographs frequently contain complexities that may be used to record different time measures, moon cycles, heart rate, and more. These features are generally controlled with the help of buttons.
Chronograph watches generally have a stopwatch that can be controlled with buttons attached to its 2-O’Clock and 4-O’Clock positions. They are very accurate and precise.
The outermost ring on the bezel, known as a tachymeter, is a characteristic of many such watches used to measure distance and speed.
They also have an additional independent second-sweep hand which acts as a simple timer. This can be controlled with the help of an additional button if provided.
Certain men’s chronograph watches have a depth meter which helps them determine the depth of the waterbody when they’re underwater.
Modern variants of these watches have a hi-tech feature that allows them to monitor their heart rate. This is possible with the help of a laser-based analyser attached behind the watch’s body.
How to choose the right chronograph watch?
With the availability of so many watches in the market, it can be quite hard to decide and choose one. Here are some tips to help you decide which one’s best for you.
- Price Range- These watches can often be very expensive and for not a lot of features. One should go for a unique chronograph that has precise movements, advanced machining, and top-quality materials that are readily available at an affordable rate.
- Features- This is dependent upon the buyer and their needs. These watches offer many features, including a stopwatch, timer, tachymeter, heart-rate monitor, moon-cycle, depth meter, and water resistivity.
- Quality of materials- The materials used to make the strap varies from leather to gold-plated straps. Leather straps and metal straps are the most commonly used ones. Fabric-based straps are also available. Luxury straps made out of gold, silver, or platinum can be custom-made.
- Machine and Movements- The machine and movements are solely based on the manufacturer and the mechanism of the machine itself. One can choose between an integrated chronograph, modular chronograph, oscillating pinion, chronograph energy, Rattrapante, and fly-back.
- Antique Pieces- People also go for these watches due to their antique value and vast history. Certain pieces are sought after due to their historic value.
As such, these watches are exquisite and preferred highly by individuals that tend to purchase high-quality watches. The various features of these watches make the watch an excellent product. Men prefer staying a class above others in today’s scenario, and taking into account all these factors, one can conclude that these watches are magnificent and worth it.